Pages

Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Traffic jam - is there a solution?

One of these days I was stuck in a traffic jam; the reason being a car was trying to jump the red light but ended up creating a chaos. I was getting frustrated seeing it and giving the driver my piece of mind (in my mind). It is then that I remembered a conversation I had with my dad some months back.

I had returned from a 2 week trip from US and seeing the driving here - in Delhi - I pointed out to him that if people would just follow the rules traffic would be smoother; especially on crossings the cars should wait untill they are sure they would get to the other side and not have to halt in between the road (this is what I had seen in the US). And I had proclaimed that if this starts happening here the traffic situation is going to improve. And I was pretty sure there wasn't anything dad could reply to counter my logic.
Dad's reply was - it's not the not following of traffic rules that creates the chaos but it is the no of vehicles on road that is the culprit. The no of vehicles on road are so high that whatever people do there is bound to be traffic congestion in peak hours if not at other times. River usually flows in its designated path but when there is heavy rain or snow melts the amount of water in the river increases; and when this increase is quite high it results in floods. No matter what arrangement is made the excess water will always lead to flood.

No comments: