Pages

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Everything is dependent on others; or is it?

A few days back it was raining as I was going home from office in the office bus. It had been raining for quite sometime and as a result there was a lot of water on the road. We were crossing the Kapashera border (Delhi - Gurgaon border). As I looked out of the window I saw hordes of people walking. It was time for them to go home as well. Most of them work in the factories in the surrounding areas. People in the bus were cursing the rain as whenever it rains the roads are filled with water and it creates traffic jams. And I agreed with them. Then I looked out again and saw the people walking in water logged roads, rain falling steadily on them. Some of them had removed their shoes and were holding them as they walked.
I remembered the days when I had to go through rain in the similar way. I never quite liked that. I remembered the days when I used to travel via public conveyance. I still do that but the frequency has reduced to very low. And now as I listened to the people in the bus cribbing about the water logged streets and as I saw the people outside walking on such street fully drenched I wondered if I should join the people inside the bus in cribbing or should I feel happy that at least I am not out there on the road; I wondered what the people outside would be thinking and should I pity them for having to go through such ordeal (if I may call it so); or should I just ignore everything and sleep for sometime. No point in guessing that I chose to sleep.

It seems to have become the pattern for people nowadays. You look at people who are better off than you and you crib about your life. You look at people who are not as well off as you and you feel happy about your life (or do you feel sad about them - No both are not the same). You see people smiling and feel why can't you smile like that. You see people do things and feel upset as to why you can't do it irrespective of whether you have tried it or not.
It seems strange, doesn't it, that your actions, happiness, sadness, life is dependent on others. Does it really have to be that way? I don't think so. But I see it everywhere, all around; people discussing others rather than themselves. And if I speak to them their response is "you don't/won't understand". And then I decide to mend my own business.

No comments: