Pages

Monday, July 13, 2009

Furniture hunting

Buying a house is not easy and having bought the house isn’t the end of the trouble. In fact it is beginning of a whole new set of troubles. Don’t agree with me? Wait till the end of this post.

Having bought the house the next thing was to buy furnitures. This required us to make a list of furnitures to buy and then where to put them. We zeroed in on 2 double beds, a sofa set, a dining table set. Not much; are they? Let’s see…

Let’s start with the double bed. I am 6 feet tall; so the normal 6*6 bed doesn’t suit me. Thus one of the double beds should be at least 6.5 feet. And then since we were going for customized bed we thought of getting some design on frames and also some boxes near the top side. The bed length increased to about 7.5 feet. Easy enough. Not exactly. The question that stood in front of us now was will it fit in the room. So we went to the new house with a measuring tape and measured the rooms. One room was about 10 feet wide while the other was 9 feet. We had to have at least 3 feet space. So the beds could not be more than 7 feet and 6 feet respectively. This meant no boxes in the bed on the head side and it had to have just frames. One’s plan doesn’t always work the way they are meant to.
So the size finalized it was time to decide from where to buy. Dad had a known person who had supplied good pieces to office folks. So we had a reliable person and decided to order through him. Now to see samples we had to meet him and the actual makers. That guy lives on the western side of the city while we live in the east. So on Sunday, in a very hot and humid weather, we travelled across the city to meet the concerned people. In between, we had seen a decent offer from Big Bazaar for a double bed cum dressing table plus something. The only doubt was regarding the material of the bed. So we asked our guy (and also the actual makers) about that. One of them told that it is the latest thing and is good but needs to be kept away from water. The other guy said that its not good. Another confusion. We decided not to go for the offer and ordered 2 beds. Things don’t end here. Now we had to chose the design. That’s pretty easy if you have some design in mind; and if you don’t … well … god help you. And to add to that my dad passed the brochure to me to select the design. After going through the catalog a no of times I selected one design. Now I had to select another design which had some specifications. I did manage to select the designs. The double bed chapter got closed.

Next in line were the sofa sets. That was to be ordered to another guy who specializes in sofas. So we went to another place where this guy came with his files. He showed a sofa set and said “I have made these kind of sofas recently and they were liked by the people.” In fact one of them was known to dad. I rejected the design on its first look. The guy persisted with it for some time giving all sorts of logic and I – like I am – refused to budge. Having safely negotiated it I was given a bunch of photographs of sofa designs to chose from. And here I was again doing something which I don’t like doing – choosing. But then whenever I asked dad to do the choosing thing he would say “It’s your house so you decide”. And so I had to do it. I chose a design finally. The design being selected, it was now turn of the material to be used for the covers. Another selection dilemma. To add to it my dad said “You don’t like all the materials, so you chose the one you feel will be good”. So I sat with another set of catalog selecting a material to be put on the sofa. After a few rounds I selected one material (which was later changed to another one). All over. Not yet. Now we had to choose the colour. Another tough task; but made easy as the no of options were less for the material chosen. Here I was helped by others and finally we had the design ready with all accessories.
Things weren’t quite over yet. Now was the turn of the no of sofas to buy. We had thought of 3+1+1 but the seller told it was out of fashion and our guy agreed to it. So we could go for 3+2, 2+2, 3+2+2 or we could add a couple of puffys to 3+2 or 2+2. I called home to ask for some help and got the same answer “It’s your house so you decide”. When you don’t want to decide something it turns out that you are the only one who has to decide. So I went for a 3+2 sofa set with 2 puffys.

The orders were placed. Now with double-bed and sofa set done we are left with dining table set and centre table. These we might go for ready made and so shouldn’t be that difficult. Well… I will get a first hand experience when I do that; and maybe write about it as well.

Furniture hunting is still on. And ya when the furnitures finally come I will have to face the reaction of my mom and sister who don’t have the slightest idea of the deigns chosen by me. Keeping my fingers crossed.

2 comments:

Faded Glory said...

Tip 1: Material Color for Sofa set should match the wall colour and the curtains for the room :)

Tip 2: When you have an experienced person around, use the talent :)

Happy Home Building!!

Anonymous said...

Sorry dude...
i know you wont listen but still...
Ignore Ms faded .. she doesnt know what she is saying.
Tip 1: total opposite: materail colour for sofa set should NOT match but compliment wall and drapery.

Tip 2: Take out the "experienced" person for a movie/or any other activity... but listen only to those people when it comes to deciding about your house things who actually have to live there... and that includes "future" residents... so make sure the "experienced person around" is the ONE.