Pages

Thursday, July 9, 2009

I wish I could be childish more often

Yesterday I was talking to a friend of mine about buying furnitures for my new house (Yes I have bought a house recently). Before I said anything more she jumped with joy. She suddenly became very excited and asked "You would be having fun shopping for the furnitures?". There was a glow on her face and she was beaming. I was kind of surprised and replied "I have left it to my parents to decide on the furnitures". She couldn't believe it. She said "How can you not be excited. I remember when a friend of mine had bought a new house we had spend days deciding the furnitures. We would go places every weekend and search shops for everything right from lamp shades to double-beds and would make a list of what to buy from where. It was so exciting." Her face was completely lit up with excitement as I sat there staring at her. I finally said "Why don't you do the same for my house?" to which she just smiled; still lost in her thoughts from the past. (Here I must say that she was looking tired a little while earlier and now she was so enthusiastic and excited).
I was wondering if it was indeed so much fun shopping for furnitures and I soon came to the conclusion that it was not. It was just furniture and that too would lose its charm in a few weeks no matter how much time I spent selecting it. But watching her I could compare her to a kid who has just received a new toy and is thrilled by it. She noted down the topic in her notepad and said it would be a nice topic to write upon - An empty house (Yes she is a blogger and writes well).

Now as I think about it, it seems quite different from last afternoon. Buying furnitures is an activity. One could do it as a thing to do (duty) or enjoy doing it as if it were a whole lot of fun. It may sound childish but then who doesn't want to be childish at times? And there's no denying that children are happier than grown-ups. Doing things with a child's enthusiasm will make the whole process enjoyable and might lead to a better ending; but no matter what you would enjoy doing it.
I wish I was a bit like her at times ( not always; as she gets excited about small things and enjoys them but then there's another side of her as well :)); not that things don't excite me but its just that I could be enthusiastic about more things. It could just be that different people get excited about different things - which of course is true - or it could be that growing up includes giving up on being enthusiastic about most of the things. I wish I could be childish more often. The kind of enthusiasm I have while playing could be included in many more things. There's no point in missing the fun in the things you do. Of course there's a line to be drawn between doing and overdoing but I guess I have drawn my line a little too soon.
Lets see if I can be a child more often.

1 comment:

Faded Glory said...

And im smiling again at the mere thought of doing up a house and ofcourse because you dedicated a blogpost(well almost) to me :D