Pages

Tuesday, December 23, 2008

"Anything for you ma'am"

Recently read a book called "Anyhting for you ma'am" by Tushar Raheja. I found the concept good but didn't find the book that good overall. In parts the book has been written very well but at places it feels as if I should put this down.
The book is about a lover's journey - who happens to be an IITian - to meet his love. The guy is in Delhi and his love is in Chennai. The twists and turns could very well be part of a bollywood movie - a old friend of the guy arranging for him to stay in Chennai happens to have his love in Delhi (call it coincidence); a doctor from whom he needs a false medical certificate turns out to be his father's classmate and the doctor owes something his father (interesting) - There are lots of such coincidences (if you may call it so) which I shouldn't be revealing here, that makes the book qualify to be read.
The book has been written by a first time author is evident at places where in he tries to create suspense but ends up dragging the thing too long to the dismay of the reader. Then he tries to capture the conversations between people to create the same atmosphere in which they took place but fails to do so. He hasn't been able to create the scenario as he was visualizing them and the reader may feel he could have done without this. He has failed often in his attempt to dramatize the thing.
I have been thinking about writing a book for quite some time. And the way I had thought of writing the book resembles the way Tushar has written the book especially the conversation part. But after reading this I feel it is pretty difficult to give the words the same feel as it has while being spoken. I might have to think of putting those in a different way now. (Thanks to "Anything for ...")

If I have to rate this book I would give it 6/10.

PS: I am not a book reviewer and everything written here is my personal opinion. Reading the book or not is individual's decision.

No comments: