Pages

Thursday, December 18, 2008

"I know everything"

Have you ever met someone who says "I know everything" whenever you try to tell them something which is opposed to their thinking. I would have to admit though that there's a similar person in every person but its presence in some people are more than in others. Confused? Let me clear the confusion. Whenever you are doing something and someone comes and says you shouldn't be doing it this way majority would reply by saying "I know how to do it.". A few would though ask what the better way to do it is but these kind of people are very few. Then there are those who wouldn't budge from doing the way they feel its good unless they fail or actually see someone doing it better. And these people would also give it a second thought if a no of people say to them that they are doing it incorrectly. But then there are a few species who wouldn't accept they are wrong no matter what. Lets divide the people into different groups for our convenience -
  • GroupA - people who would listen to others
  • GroupB - people who would listen to others only after failure or a no of attempts
  • GroupC - people who wouldn't listen until they have no option

What happens when you encounter people of GroupC or people of GroupB who are tending towards GroupC. You can see them going downhill but can't do anything to stop them. For however hard you try to show them where they are heading to you would fail. Instead you will end up listening to a theory which would suggest they are going uphill. (Its true that the grass is always greener on the other side). Now you may ask how can you be so sure that you are right and the other person is wrong. Valid question. Lets see how I answer this.

I would say "This is the logical thing to do and these are my reasoning ..."

There would be a counter reasoning to it for sure.

Now I would say "If you ask more people 99% will agree with me".

Good point. But is it?

The respone would be "If everyone had adhered to what majority said we might have still been in jungle hunting for food"

Stumped?

Strange but true for every heads there is tails (not if you are using the coin from Sholay :)). No matter how hard you try to convince people you will fail. You will end up getting irritated, frustrated and ending up saying "Do whatever you like. Don't blame me in the end." (I know this because I am pretty tough to convince but don't start putting me in GroupC I am pretty much central to GroupB :)). So what's the best method to deal with them. Frankly speaking I don't know and am trying to figure out of late. What I think is the best way is to let them fall and maybe that will amke them realize. If they don't fall try and see how they survived (you could have been wrong). And if they don't realize even after falling then let them fall again.

You know what, they say "keep trying until you succeed" and also "don't let failures bother you, one who doersn't give up on failures succeeds in the end". But they also say "Courage isn't about not letting things go but sometimes sit down and let things go". Confusing isn't it - one side tells you to keep persisting while the other says to let go. The important question here is where to draw the line. There's no hard and fast rule;this varies from person to person as to where he sees the line. Before deciding always consider other viewpoint. Listen to all but do your own.

My only advice to all - "Have no regrets."

No comments: