Pages

Friday, December 5, 2008

Should I blog?

The wikipedia concludes the definition of a blog by saying - 'the word blog has taken on an even looser meaning — that of any bit of media wherein the subject expresses his opinion or simply talks about something'

Of late I have been reading a lot of blogs - typically those which doesn't talk about events but where the blogger tells his/her feelings, opinions or perceptions/interpretations. While going through some I was wondering how they could write that way. Writing about them, about things happening to/around them something which I feel too personal. Its like exposing yourself in front of the world. I don't think I could ever do it, that is write so candidly about me which would be read by people I don't know and who don't know me; least of all keep it for everyone to read. Not that I don't want to do it but its something I don't think I can do. Of course I would like to let people know the way I think, I would like people to know me better and maybe how people see me. But on the contrary I don't usually like telling about me. I think I can put it this way - "I don't want people to know the real me from my writings."

I started thinking whether I should actually be blogging. Describing major events that are happening around is something every site covers; so it is virtually rules out among things to write about. Candidly telling about me is something I just can't do. Writing about others is something I wouldn't prefer; and making this a medium to carry out frustration - well that's not me. So should I really write blogs?

This prompted me to go to wiki and actually see how they have defined 'blog'. While going through he definition this stuck me most (the one stated at the start of the blog) - '... the subject expresses his opinion or simply talks about something'. This reminded me that this is probabaly the reason I started writing in the first place - that is to express my opinion. It doesn't matter what people think as this is my space and my blog. And this makes me feel that I should write.

No comments: