Pages

Monday, December 29, 2008

A trip to Qutub Minar

This Saturday I went to Qutub Minar with my parents and uncle-aunty. I thought "who visits Qutub Minar these days apart from tourists" and thought it would be boring. We reached there just after 5 PM. When we reached the ticket counter it was closing. The guard said it will reopen at 5:30 PM for night viewing. The charges were double - Rs20 as compared to Rs10 till 5PM. And we had to wait about 25 minutes before we could get the tickets. And I was thinking is it worth the wait. My uncle and his family live in the USA and wanted to see Qutub Minar so we had to wait. At the ticket counter I read that the ticket charges for Indian nationals was Rs10 while for foreigners it was Rs250. I wondered whether I should be happy that I have to pay less or should I be unhappy with the inequality.
Finally it was 5:30PM and we got the tickets. When we reached the gate the gate was locked. The people who were already inside were being ushered out as their time was up. The guard said we would be allowed to enter only after everyone inside has come out. Finally at around 5:45PM we were able to go in.
Surprisingly the view was pretty good. As we went nearer to the Minar I started liking the place contrary to my initial thoughts. In fact I started liking the place more as we stayed there. Lighting was also begining to take its effect and it was looking beautiful. There were lots of flashes as cameras were in action. People including a lot of tourists were taking pictures from all possible angles to capture the beauty of the Qutub Minar. There was lot of enthusiasm among people which reminded me of how I felt the first time I had come to see it some 12 years back. The whole atmosphere was making me feel pretty good and I thought I could spend hours just sitting there. But soon it was time to go.
What I thought was going to be boring and a waste of time turned out to be pretty good and I ended up enjoying the visit to Qutub Minar.

No comments: