Pages

Friday, September 11, 2009

How different can people be at different times

"Meri chappal fir toot gayi" This was the first statement I heard as I picked up my phone. And it was followed by laughter. No it wasn't a prank; it was one of my friends calling me at around 12 noon when I was on way to office. There was a happiness in the voice - the happiness that you find in children who have done something unexpected, don't know what to do next but are laughing at their situation. She continued "I am midway to my office building and I can't walk" Some more laughter "Ab main kya karu?". I replied "Just pick the chappal up and walk barefoot" (I thought it was the logical thing to do although it was a bit ackward). "Namaste London types" she asked. I said yes. She said "Dekhti hoon". She was in this child mode again enjoying the situation which had stranded her midway in the heat; and here she was laughing at herself instead of panicking.


"I am not sure" I get an sms one day. I call her "Kya hua?". Her voice is sad. "We haven't had a 10 minute conversation in the last 3 days" She hasn't slept well the previous night. "People can be busy at times" I reply giving an explanation. "How busy can one be that one doesn't find even 10 mins in a day?" She has been thinking a lot. "There could be other reasons as well but its nothing to get so upset about" I say trying to give an explanation. "There is no reason for not calling and talking" She is hurt. "It is not that serious ..." and the conversation continues.


Same girl at 2 different instances. How different can people be at different times.

7 comments:

Faded Glory said...

Hee Hee! Two sides of a coin or maybe a case of split personality

Manas said...

I guess you need glasses now.

Clearly... very clearly its the same girl.

UnknownWriter said...

That's what I said "Same girl at 2 different instances"

Manas said...

you said... "how different can people be.."

but she wasnt different... she was the same.

UnknownWriter said...

Please elaborate

Manas said...

okay..
instance 1. "chappal fir toot gayi..."
the girl here is clearly a very good friend... who thought of you the moment something good/bad/new/strange happened. calling you up wasnt meant to seek advice or anything and yes her childlike mode wasnt actually childish.

instance 2. "I am not sure..."
the conversation continues... and has an obvious background to it which u have skipped so cant really analyse it further except for the fact it is evident that this girl obviously considers you to be a very integral part of her life.


And I guess I should limit myself here as it is only a public forum... further details we will take it up offline.

UnknownWriter said...

"The light at the end of a tunnel could be that of an incomming train"
I would suggest not to jump to conclusions, but would thank you at the same time for sharing your view.
And as rightly suggested by you we would take it offline