Pages

Thursday, September 17, 2009

Returning from office - one night

Everyday while leaving office I get the notification via email as to what my cab no is and who all are going in the cab. Usually I would look for a friend or a known person so as to make the return journey a little fun. The other day as the email notification popped up I saw a friend clubbed with me in the cab. And then there were only 3 people so I went down a little earlier than usual so as to get the back seat. I thought we would be chatting all the way as we usually do in the morning. So all geared up with probable things to talk I took my seat in the cab. But things don't go the way you want them to. And the same happened here - a 4th girl came in and sat in the middle. Not only that her drop was to be last as per the distance and as per company rules a girl should not be dropped last. So we told the transport guy that either give her a separate cab or her's will be the last drop. (A few days back we were forced to drop her and it took us extra 30 minutes to reach home) The girl didn't want to be dropped last, understandably so, but since there was no other cab available she had to give in. She was visibly upset but I didn't care as that had already spoilt the probable happy journey back. Whenever you plan it has to go wrong (thanks to HIM). So what could have been a conversation all the way turned into a small chit-chat here and there.
But the music playing on radio was too good - the saving grace probably. One song took me down the memory lane before I was brought back by the words "Come back to reality". Of course we couldn't have spoken with this 4th girl in between. And in the hindsight if I look back this friend of mine needed some rest; otherwise wouldn't have come early (that was early for my friend). So maybe HE was making sure my friend got the rest (HE always does that and I don't mind that :)).

And in the end I did end up dropping this 4th girl; and yes it took me 30 more minutes to reach home. I didn't care about this girl but still dropped her as I thought I should do so. More so probably because our conduct - of confirming her drop to be the last - had upset her; she was upset the entire way and I didn't want to miss the fun of seeing her expression change when I said to the driver after the 2nd drop "Let's drop her first".

HE has his means of getting things done by me and usually wins the battles between us (more on this someday later - maybe not). But one day I will get my chance :)

No comments: